gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I inherited my father in laws 1986 Nissan D21 2.4 cyl truck.

Customer Question

I inherited my father in laws 1986 Nissan D21 2.4 cyl truck. I recently tried to jump start the truck. I had put a new battery in the truck six weeks prior. So I thought I might have a bad alternator. When I jump started the truck I may have inadvertanlty connected the jumper cables to the wrong posts. I may have screwed up the alternator, so I put a new one in. The truck idles fine and sounds good but when I get to about 2800 rpms the engine starts to sputter and miss. Any suggestions? I was gonna try changing the O2 sensor and the fuel filter to see if that would help. I am wondering if what I did when jumping the truck may have caused this problem. This problem only started after that incident.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

What leads you to believe you had the cables wrong? You would have experienced a pretty good arc.

Have you drained the gas and put in new gas? I think the fuel filter sounds like a good next step, modern gas in the last few years starts to break down in a matter of a few weeks unless you put gas preserver in it, if it sat for a long time before that you likely have varnish buildup, and maybe even rust particles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have since put new gas in the truck and it had been running great several weeks ago.
There was arch of electricity, when I placed the cable on my battery
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Most of the time whe.n you reverse the cables, you will either blow a fusible link (if you are lucky enough that your car has one) or you will fry a circuit in the ECM. I'd hate to condemn it right away though, so I would check your ground points (battery ground to the body, other wiring grounded to the body or to the engine block) and clean them up before retightening them down.