Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My name is ***** *****. Im looking location of the fuse

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. Im looking for the location of the fuse for tail lights to a 1988 nissan pickup.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: brake lights work. tail lights do not. speed odometer doesnt work. think its all pwered thru the same fuse...just cant find it
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

There are 2 10 amp fuses for this you need to check. They are on the bottom row of the fuse box as shown in attached diagram

Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both fuses are good and intact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the original expert opt'd out of this question. So I will do my best to help you.

The Speedometer is a mechanical function for your year Pickup. There is a cable that goes from the speedometer to the speed sensor. So the most common thing that can cause the speedometer not to work is that cable breaks. So you are going to want to inspect that.

As for the tail lights, When you turn the light switch one click for the parking lights, does the front parking lights work? and just the rear is out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With one click neither the front or the back come on.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok..... Do you have a Test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's actually my dads truck. I have a multimeter and a test light at home though. It's dark here now but I can test whatever u suggest in the morning.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

First thing I would like you to do with the test light is to check fuses. Make sure the fuses are getting power on both sides of the back of the fuse while the fuse is still inserted in the fuse box. Turn the lights on and ignition ON when checking the fuses.

I will be online again tomorrow evening so we can continue then if you are unable to check them right now. I will keep this question open so we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Sounds good
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

alright then, have a good night and talk to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses with meter. They are all good. There is only one fuse box right?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Are you checking the back side of the fuse with the meter to see if both sides of the fuse is getting power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tail and brake is the same bulb. A double filament. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (at least I thought I was. Lol) but I have exhausted my knowledge on how from the same light bulb how does one filament get power and not the other
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The Brake and the tail light is indeed the same bulb, but they are two separate circuits and have different fuses. Does the front parking lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they do not
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Give me a min to try to find your wiring diagram... 1 min please

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We will need to check power at the combo switch, and power out of the combo switch next.

How ever, I am going to be going off line for the night.

Can we continue this tomorrow evening? I am normally online around 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sure...talk to you tomorrow