Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2009 nissan maxima has 110000 miles. The dealer is

Customer Question

My 2009 nissan maxima has 110000 miles. The dealer is telling me the main bearing is going out. He says he can hear it knocking. He wants $1600 to change it.
Does this sound plausible and if so why now at 100000 miles?
If so is there a way to tell if the engine is worth repairing?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

It is very rare to have a bearing issue in these engines. What I would suggest you do is take the car to another dealer for a second opinion. Since I can not hear the problem I can only suggest what course of action you should take. If the second opinion suggests the same, then you know to course of action that is needed.

I would also remove the drive belts from the engine to eliminate any other moving parts, so you can isolate the noise to the engine if the engine is making noise.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!