Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

How's it going. I've got a similar issue as the one above. I

Customer Question

Hey how's it going. I've got a similar issue as the one above. I have a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8l came into my shop running, with a p0340 and a p0420. Another shop told them the timing chain had stretched and the guides are worn, vehicle had an intermittent misfire that showed most under load maintaining steady speed. I pulled the valve cover and inspection plate and determined everything was in time and the chain was not stretched, while checking I spun the engine over by hand several times to ensure proper timing marks lined up, one of the coils looked like it had been arcing so I replaced all 4 coils and hitachi cam sensor to see how it played out. I put it all back together and now have a no start issue, no spark or injector pulse except for an occasional flicker of a the noid light on the first revolution of the engine. I'm stumped looks like power and grounds are all there with no signal. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Look at the Cam and Crank Sensor and see if it has this logo on it and let me know..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am checking crank sensor now. The cam sensor does not have any markings, appears newer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That means it's a after market sensor. After Market Sensors never work right. Check the Crank and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright that was fun. Crank sensor is O.E. It DOES have the markings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw thanks for the help in advance! My name is Tyler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it comes down to it I'll spend the 18 bucks to make the call but I'd rather get as far as we can here first
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Good.. So you will need to replace the Cam Sensor with one from the dealer to resolve the CAM sensor code you are getting.

As for the Catt Converter code. The P0420, you get this code when the rear 02 sensor detects that the Catt is no converting exhaust gases properly.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Nice to meet you Tyler..

So the Catt Converter will need to be replaced as well.

Back to After Market Cam Sensors.. When it comes to these sensors, when after market they can tend to continue to cause issues and codes. Some times no codes, or can throw intake timing codes which can make you think it's timing chain related. Which you already experienced. So that is why you want to use factory parts from the dealer. They are a little more expensive, but no run around trying to figure out what is going on

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I get that but here is the confusion. I have a dealer sensor that I installed to start with and then got the no start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle was running before I swapped sensors
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Does the Cam and Crank Sensor both have the logo?