Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Put a new engine in my 06 specv and now it won't idle. I did

Customer Question

Put a new engine in my 06 specv and now it won't idle. I did idle relearn, new cam and crank sensor, new fuel pump. Still won't idle.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you get the Cam and Crank Sensors from your local auto Parts store? Do you have any codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both sensors from Napa and never made the car any better. On code that came up was a p300 random misfire. While scanner was on car. I was watching fuel system. When the car is in closed loop it runs fine. Then it switches to open loop drive and flashes fault. Then car idles like crap. Cpu switches car back to CL it runs fine. That's why I did fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also before new engine car ran perfect
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

First when it comes to after market sensors. They never work right. That can certainly cause stalling and not throw codes. If they do cause codes, normally it's a intake timing code which make you think something is wrong with the timing chains.

So first thing you will need to do is put OEM cam and crank Sensors in the engine. 2nd. What brand spark plugs are in this engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ngk factory replacement. I have spark and good injector pluse at each cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even checked grounds battery voltage and tested grounds with volt meter because I heard grounds were a problem with these cars
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I understand. You need to start with changing those Cam and Crank Sensor with OEM one's first. From there we can do more of the proper tests to see what is going on.

Do you have the old Cam and Crank Sensors? Did your old engine have them? Did you have a code for them? is that why you changed them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it runs the same way with the factory or Napa sensors in the car. And the fuel pump is a Walboro 255lph
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg

If the sensors don't have this logo on them, they are after market and you can't trust their operation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes for them just reading on the Nissan forums as a possible cause
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you unplug the MAF sensor will the car start and idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts but will rev up and down really really fast till I plug it back in
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

IF you put in gear, will it stall?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Does this car have a After Market Throttle chamber?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oem sensors with that logo is what I took out
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You want to put them back in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I did the engine I put on a cold air intake and a 4 to 1 header
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. Starting to make sense...

Did your old engine have this cold air intake? Do you have the factory intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I have put zero miles on the car since the engine due to this problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the factory intake but this is my 4th specv and I had an intake on everyone and never this problem. This one just has more miles then any other before
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can understand your thoughts on that. But for now, can we put the factory intake on and see if there is any change?