Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2011 Nissan quest has 97000 miles. Today it started to

Customer Question

My 2011 Nissan quest has 97000 miles. Today it started to rough idle at stop. Runs OK as soon as you accelerate. Any simple solutions or is this a dealer repair? Check engine or malfunction light blinked for a while then went steady. No pattern to the blink.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Have you changed spark plugs yet on the van?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Spark plugs have not been changed, but I would assume it would still run rough if one was fouled or if there was a bad wire. Regardless of idle or running. Only runs rough at stopped idle.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have a Service Engine Soon light on, and it's flashing, that means you could damage the engine if you continue to drive it.

Most common causes are exhaust restriction, or a cylinder misfire issue. I have seen where the negative battery cable breaks and coils will melt and go bad. I have also seen oil seep into the spark plug tubes causing a misfire as well. Either way, It's something that should be checked before you do engine damage.

I would recommend the dealer. They know your van best.

Do you have any more question on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

aNY POSSIBILITY OF A DAMAGED pcv TUBE OR PULGGED pcv?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The PCV system if plugged up will simply cause the engine to burn oil. It won't cause a cylinder misfire or running ruff issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!