Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

Engine wont start. thought it was needing a new negative

Customer Question

Engine wont start. thought it was needing a new negative terminal but i tightened it and problem still persists. it used to start and could drive it but engine cuts out on low revs. now it wont start at all. Ignition clicks over and can hear engine trying to start but it doesnt. could it be fuel pump / filter related? 2oo2 Nissan Pulsar. Automatic
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
I'll need a bit of clarification here - is the engine turning over when you try to start it, or simply making a 'click' noise when you rotate the key to start?
Cheers,
Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine is turning over
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,
It could be ignition or fuel supply related, &, on the fuel side, it could indeed be the fuel pump or a supply blockage, ie the fuel strainer in the tank or the fuel filter. The simplest way to differentiate between fuel & ignition issues is to squirt some aerostart into the air inlet with the air cleaner removed. If it shows signs of life, it has spark.
Slapping the fuel tank with a block of timber sometimes kicks a failed fuel pump into life temporarily as well..
It may need a fuel pressure test to fully determine if it's a fuel supply issue, & not ECU or other electrical issue related..
I hope this helps!
Cheers
Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i do the fuel pressure test?
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,
The test requires a suitably calibrated gauge & associated plumbing adaptors for fitting to the fuel rail to be done safely. I can't recommend cracking fuel line fittings for flow inspection on a running engine, but that method does prove fuel pressure. Modern EFI runs from about 30 to 80 PSI.
As an observation, you should be able to hear the 'clicking' of the injectors at cranking, proving their electrical function. If the head sounds silent, it's an ECU or associated relay issue, but I would expect the engine warning light on too..
Let me know how you go..
Scott