Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My 2012 Infiniti G37 won't start. trying to leave starbucks

Customer Question

my 2012 Infiniti G37 won't start. trying to leave starbucks and the key light is on the dash and my key won't do anything. Car won't lock even using the inside buttons
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you try inserting the remote into the remote slot to see if it would start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that. It is as if the car is on meaning the radio will play. However, the lock on the door won't work, nor with the key. The brake is stiff.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How long were you at Starbucks for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want switch to a phone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happened the second I shut my car off
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We don't have to. That is only a option that is available if you would like to go that route

does the head lights work? Did you check your Battery connections?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
frustrating, all the dang pop ups that keep coming up about a call...lights work, batter connections seem to be fine
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I have no control over that...

Is the steering wheel locked? Meaning if you use force, can you turn it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
steering wheel is not locked, brake is hard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
radio works, push button key is showing "on"
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The brake pedal will get hard after pushed a few times when the car is off.

if you press the start button with out stepping on the brake, do you get any type of message in the message center?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. Ignition comes on? All warning lights in the dash if you press the start button 2 times?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, nothing changes when I push the key. dash lights are not on, just the radio. ac won't turn on
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So you can turn the ignition off, and it will go into ACC mode for the radio to work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no... nothing changes regardless of what I do including pushing the ignition button. The radio power is stuck to being on. Again, nothing I do, push, etc... changes anything
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I have something I want to try.. Do you have a 10 mm wrench available? I think the car needs a hard reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When I see weird electrical issues like this, and based on everything you are telling me, I would disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then connect it and see if it will respond.

Since the car is a 2012, you have a 4 year or 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty. So worst case, you would call Infiniti and they would send a tow truck out to pick it up for you. The link below has their phone number if you need to call them for road side assistance.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Infiniti%20number.jpg

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's under warranty.I am assuming I don't have to pay since we didn't resolve anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant pay you
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well... I did spend some time with you trying to determine your issue. It's not really my fault if it's something we can't determine with out the use of special tools.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but nothing helped, I could have talked to the man in the coffee shop.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I understand your felling, but this is a paid service.

I will put you in for a refund.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The only thing we did not try is jump starting the car? ... I just thought of that... But 'road side would need to do that for you if you have no one that can help you.