Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 2011 Nissan Altima it was in a accident and had

Customer Question

i have a 2011 Nissan Altima it was in a accident and had just the driver bag blown.so i had the front seat belts replaced,air bag module reset,driver air bag used from another car,clock spring new,both front crash sensors replaced.light still stayed on,brought
it in and they said my used one was no good,even though the bag was not blown.so i bought another used bag and put it in and reset the codes,the air bag light went off,went for a ride and about 1/2 mile away light came back on.any help??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if it's the same code or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they didn't say,i have some other shop looking at it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me just say that if it is the same code I would suspect the spiral cable. It's pretty uncommon for the air bags to cause the codes in my opinion. Not that they can't, but, if you have 2 bad ones that's pretty rare. I would be more inclined to think there is an issue with the control unit then another airbag.

If you know the code let me know, if not, you can get it and post it with me here tomorrow, but from here and my 2 cents, I would think the module is the most likely culprit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had the module reset from myairbag and they said it was tested good,and i used them before without any problems but here is the thing that different with the 2 bags the first one didn't even get the air bag light off at all,but yet the second air bag did but only for a short time,but the light was off
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

That's why I am curious to know if it's the same code or not. I am not saying the place didn't reset the module, just looking at other possible factors as the air bags aren't common issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see,im not sure the codes,i was just happy to see the second bag actually got ride of the airbag light,but it was short lived until i went for a ride.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I get that :)

It's really why I would like to know the codes if possible. See if the same one showed up and what not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't think i can get them it was over a week ago
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, some code readers can get the air bag codes as well. Might try a parts store to see if they can pull them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there away to test the bag off the car?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You need special equipment and in most cases what you are testing is the wiring to eliminate it as the problem.. change in resistance is how air bags work. So, you can't test it like normal wiring and what not or you will set them off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,well im not sure what to do then as i don't want to buy another bag
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You need to get the codes again so you even know if that is the problem.