Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My son's 2011 nissan snetra will not start we replaced the

Customer Question

My son's 2011 nissan snetra will not start we replaced the battery with a new one the symbol with the key in the square is cntinuously flashing when you try to turn the car on the car was stalling and eventually cut off. We tried to jump it several times using another car it wouldnt start and the lights would not go off. The tow truck driver was able to get the car started iwth his booster cables pack but the car cut off. The next day we tried jumping the car again but was not able to. we took the battery to autozone and they determined the batery was no good. I purchased a new battery still the car wont start. There is a symbol that continuously flashes on the dashboard. It is a key inside of a box. I looked in the manual and that symbol is for the Vehicle Immobilizer System. We tried the steps listed in the manuall still the car wont start.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Will the engine turn over and not start? Also, when it was last running did you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the tow truck driver jumped the car the engine did turn over. He was able to do this twice. After that it would not turn over or start with a jump. The service engine light came on after all of this occurred.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It would not turn over with a jump any more? Does the head lights come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The headlights will not come on. the only light flashing is the symbol wiht the key in the square
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We replaced the battery with a new one and still nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have a blown fusible link..

Do you know where this is located on the positive battery cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i dont
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hold on, let me get a image for you

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fusible%20link%201a.jpg

That is what it looks like more or less. It's hard to tell if it's blown or not looking at it from the top. I recommend you remove it and hold it up and inspect it from underneath. That is where you would see if it's blown or not.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fusible%20link%201b.jpg

If blown, it's a dealer item only. Please check it and let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to open the link
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can't remove it to inspect it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant open the link you sent for the picture is this something i can get an image of on teh internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if thats it will the dealer need to replace it or is this something we can do
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. Are you on a smart phone or a computer?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Any repair shop should be able to replace the main fusible link. Just that the part would need to be brought from the dealer.

That is like the Main fuse for the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much does this typically cost
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

around 30 bucks.. Labor should only be at least around 1/2 hour labor..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how sure are you that this is the problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well if you have no signs of electrical power except that security light flashing, that is normally the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vehicle immobiizer is not the issue at one point the headlights came on but would not go out they finally went out but of course they wont come back on now
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it was the Immobilizer the head lights would still work, and when you turned the key to the ON position all the dash warning lights would come on and the security light would turn solid.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!