JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

My girlfriend was driving her 2002 nissan sentra gxe and it

Customer Question

My girlfriend was driving her 2002 nissan sentra gxe and it died while driving. It will not start, when trying to start it sounds like engine isnt actually cranking more like the atarter is just making noise
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

does it have spark? does it have compression?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually i check those things first but due to how unusual it is sounding i haven't yet. I will check hooefully later today and i will update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked the compression, and they were all zero.. so im curious how could the crank pully and cams move but there be zero compression?? Its getting spark and fuel.

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As stated above it has 0 compression.

likely bent valves or timing off a leak down test or tear down would be required

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the timing is correct i verified it with diagrams for timing. What would cause bent valves? Would that cause every cylinder to be 0psi?

if timing jumped that would cause valve strikes which results in bent valves

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont see how the timing could have jumped if the pully matches right up to the timing mark as does the cam shaft sprockets line up to the timing chain marks

If you have no compression in any of your cylinders the you either have a cracked head,blown head casket, warped head,cracked block between each cylinder. Was all the spark plugs in good " meaning not striped out " . If you have a bad or bent valve that would let the pressure out of that one cylinder but not all of them at once. Check to see if there is any water in the oil pan, if there is the water will come out first because water is heaver than oil and will go to the bottom so pull the drain plug out slowly to see what comes out first. If there is water in the oil that you have a big problem. Either you have a cracked block or head or head gasket. If there is no water in the oil than I would check the piston rings. First thing to do is take off the valve cover and crank the motor over very slowly and watch all the valves operate right and move up and down the full travel that there supposed to. If they are all good the takes out the bad valve situation. If

is it actually turning over?