Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 1995 Pathfinder. My horn and cruise control do not

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1995 Pathfinder. My horn and cruise control do not work when I try to trigger either from the steering wheel. I have removed the clockspring and cleaned it and even replaced it with a different one from a Pick and Pull but nothing works.
When I first noticed this problem, the horn and cruise control would work intermittently if I turned the steering wheel to the left of right. But since I disassembed the wheel to clean the clockspring, it does not work at all.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

The spiral cable is a very sensitive part. If the steering system is over extended the internals can break. So this pick and pull one you got is most likely bad.

You need a spiral cable to resolve your issue. The fact that you were able to make the horn work at one point turning the wheel verifies that.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this answer does not really help that much. You cannot buy spiral cables from Nissan. Also, I don't see that much to go wrong on the spiral cable I have or the junkyard one. How can I tell if it is broken or not?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

They do not have a check for the sprial cable. They can not be turned to far or the internal contact breaks. Then it's a open circuit.

What I would suggest is take your old Sprial Cable and re-install it. Since you were able to get the horn to work turning the wheel a certain way, I would put the old one back in and see if that function returns. If it does, that just verified that your used spiral cable is no good.