Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

The inside of my 1986.5 nissan d 21 was flooded with water

Customer Question

The inside of my 1986.5 nissan d 21 was flooded with water replaced ecu under passenger seat rebuilt throttle body new rotor and dist cap and still had start no idle and won't rev past 2500 rpms it's flooding out . As soon as I hook up battery the injectors come on and started smoking help !!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

I don't have any literature for your year truck, but I will try to help you with the issue you are having.

Most likely the harness was affected by the water and you are having a harness issue.

Was this fresh water or salt water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fresh water it would just turn over so I bought a new ecu and still wouldn't start when I took off distributor the rotor button was broken so replaced it still nothing it will run idle at times but when I give it gas it goes up to 2500 rpms and starts popping and engine dies put 2 used throttle bodies same thing
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Was it parked or did you drive through water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was parked
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I know these older trucks when they act like you are describing, the injectors dump to much fuel and can cause this, or the MAF sensor on the side of the throttle chamber ( Carb type ) goes bad.

It's normally one of the two. I would look at how the fuel injectors are spraying to determine which direct is needed to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unwrapped the went through each one but that's what it's doing it pouring gas and if I tap the top they will stop most of the time this thing is driving me crazy
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

did you try replacing the injectors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are doing the same thing key off and as soon as I hook up battery cables they kick on and in less than 5 seconds they start smoking
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The computer must have shorted the injector circuit out and when you replaced the computer, the shorted injectors then burnt out that function of the computer.

If the wiring checks out, then you would need to replace the injectors and the computer to resolve this issue.