gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2003 Nissan Altima. Lately, it has not been wanting

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Nissan Altima. Lately, it has not been wanting to start without a struggle. You can smell gas fumes when you first come up to the car, even if it has been sitting for hours. What is wrong?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a check engine light on? If you smell fuel, most likely you have a leak in the fuel line from the tank to the engine area, and the fuel is draining down. It takes a little while of cranking for the pressure to build and push it up to the engine again.

Take a look under the car with the engine running and see if it is dripping anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a check engine light on. I smell it most of the time when I first get in, then occasionally when I'm driving.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK- like I said, start the car and look underneath for any signs of fuel leak. You don't want to drive around with an issue like this, fuel on a hot exhaust can cause a major fire.