AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 94 Nissan 2wd truck. The clutch went out yesterday.

Customer Question

I have a 94 Nissan 2wd truck. The clutch went out yesterday. No noise, no change in the feel of the clutch, no slippage just pushed in the clutch and it's not there.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

The clutch didn't stay on the floor, did it? It came back up?

If there's a flexible part of the line between the master cylinder and slave cylinder, try clamping it off and verify that your clutch pedal is hard to rule out the master cylinder, but I am not getting the impression that your having symptoms of a bad master cylinder. If your pedal feels fine, I am betting on needing a new clutch. After verifying that it's not a hydraulic issue, you won't know what's going on until you inspect the clutch, fork, pressure plate etc. Possibly a seized clutch. How many miles do you guess are on the clutch?

do you still need help with your truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
220,000, it has definitely done its job for a very long time. It is not going to be an easy fix. I am betting on clutch fork or throw-out bearing. Yes the pedal feels fine. It could be seized but that would seem strange to happen suddenly with no symptoms whatsoever. A few years ago, my niece drove it occasionally and it started having intermittent throw-out bearing noise. I stopped her driving it and have had no symptoms since then including hauling heavy trailer over a mountain pass (water pump went out right after that, but the clutch has been fine). I apologize for the tardiness of my response my work schedule has been crazy, I haven't had time to even look at the truck much less attempt any diagnosis for the past three weeks.

Do you hear any rattling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, no rattle whatsoever, no grinding, pedal felt fine until failure. After failure, can feel does not disengage. Prior to failure, no slippage, no leaks, no hard shifting. I contacted a local mechanic who quoted $500 to replace, this seems fair. A couple of hundred for parts and about $320 in labor for four hours. Your thoughts?

That is a very reasonable price and when he is in there he will be able to determine if the failure is the fork or the clutch itself. Either way, it's a fair price.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly. If I had access to a lift, didn't have to travel for work and the proper set of tools I wouldn't mind digging into it myself. Thank you for your answers, much appreciated.

You are most welcome. Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please remember to rate me. It is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, I shall do so :)

Great. Thank you.