Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I recently changed the tensioner on the timing belt and now

Customer Question

Hey, I recently changed the tensioner on the timing belt and now that I put my car back together again, it won't start up. What do you think went wrong?
Submitted: 1 year ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you change the timing chains along with the tensioners you replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not change the chain nor take it off. The only thing I did was that I changed the tensioner and the guides.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh, you did the primary tensioner. The one on the big chain. Correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. It's all put together again but now it's does not want to crank up.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you remove the primary chain? It sounds like it may have jumped a tooth or two.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did not remove the chain. The only thing I did was changed the main tensioner and the guide. I think it's called a slack guide.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Try this. Unplug Bank 2 Cam Sensor and see if it starts and idles. If it does, turn it off and return back and let me know. If it still doesn't start, plug it back in, and then unplug Bank 1 Cam Sensor and same thing. See if it starts and idles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I tried both of the sensors and it only turns on when I unplugged the bank 2 sensor. It idles but then after about ten seconds or so it begins to almost turn off. With the bank 2 in and the bank 1 out, it doesn't crank up. Only with the bank 2 out and the bank 1 in.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That verifies that your mechanical timing is off a tooth. It most likely jump time when you started it and the tensioner did not prime yet. Normally when we do timing chain work, we pull the fuel pump fuse and when we are done, we turn the engine over a few times for the tensioners to build oil pressure. Then we put the fuse in and were good.

So at this point, your mechanical timing is off a tooth or 2 and will require the timing chain to be removed and re-positioned to the correct timing and then re-assembled. Which remember to pull the fuel pump fuse when you do this.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey again, I'm now trying to align the time chain on my 2004 Nissan Quest. It's off about 3 teeth. Can I take off the chain and turn the camshaft? Or what do I do to align it correctly?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It maybe easier to speak with you on how to set that up.

Let me know if you would like to speak with me, or continue this way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could we continue this way, please?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

3 teeth could mean there is valve damage. The only way to know is to put the engine on TDC and do a cylinder leak down on all cylinders.

What I use is a Chain Vise Grip to grab the intake sprocket and I turn the Cam with that. Then I will take the timing chain and line up all the colored links to the proper timing marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnW2NclDbi0

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That video should help you get the chain on right.

Please don't forget to Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did the information I provided help you with your problem?