peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

87 nissan d21 v6, changed tps since ecc gave a 43 code,

Customer Question

87 nissan d21 v6, changed tps since ecc gave a 43 code, however now it won't turn over. The new connector was messed up so took new sensor and soddered old good connection to it. Now it won't turn over. Before I went to replace the tps, the vehicle ran rough abd sounded like it was misfiring. I changed spark plugs. Wires, distributor, rotor and ignition coil. It turned over easily. 2 spark plugs had high carbon and you could smell unburnt fuel. Did research and found how to read ecc. It have code 43 fir tps. We replaced it but connection was bad. New one comes in tomorrow. Is there a trick to the tps? Does it need zeroing or calibration? Would soddering the wires damage it? I don't see how. We put electrical tape over the areas.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the engine starter is not operating to turn over the engine now with this issue here it is possible that some of the TPS wiring may have shorted when it was soldered and damaged the engine computer or possibly blown a fuse.If you have not checked for any blown fuses this needs done and if any are found the affected fuses need replaced.If these are o.k. check and make sure you can still communicate with the engine computer with a scan tool to see if the engine computer is damaged.Make sure the wiring repair was done correctly and no shorted wiring is found.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter is working, I truly don't think we have a wiring issue. We were able to re-read the ecu-the 1987 does not have a scan tool so we removed the cover and was able to read the 4 red and 3 green blinking lights for the 43 TPS. Do you need to adjust the TPS for the 87 for the ecu to recognize the new one? It is an after marked ecu, is there a known issue with the after market tps vs the nissan tps? I wish I had the installation and adjusting procedure. I noticed the 1996 adjusting procedure was revised, but I don't see any information on the 1987 tps installation and adjusting tps. Also, how do you test it?

O.k.,unfortunately after looking through my info on your model and year here I don't see the procedure as well.It does say it does need adjusted properly when it is replaced so there is an adjustment I just don't have it myself.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I haven't heard from anyone esle. Am I suppose to do anything for others to see this message?

No,unfortunately they should have seen this to help further if anyone here can help further.I will re opt out again to see if anyone else here can help.If you don't hear anything in the next day here let me know.

Thanks Pete