Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I've got Nissan Altima 2005 - the drivers side headlight

Customer Question

I've got Nissan Altima 2005 - the drivers side headlight won't work. I replaced the bulb and it worked for the evening but this morning it's out again. I've checked and replaced the fuse. I checked the bulb clipped to the housing is secure. I'm stumped on what could be causing the light to come on for a few hours and then quit. Please let me know what I could do to fix it.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Is this a Xenon bulb or Halogen bulb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure actually. It was an H1 bulb from Walmart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I threw away the packaging.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If I show you a picture of it, would you be able to identify it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/bulb.jpg

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/bulb2.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the first one.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I recall those type of bulbs having a ground plate on them. Did you use the ground plate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ground seems to be attached to the headlight housing. On the passenger side the there is a separate ground plate to attach but on the driver's side the ground wire seems to be attached to the headlight housing.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You should have a ground plate. I know they have a ground on the housing. They don't use that any more cause it burns out bulbs. So you will need to install the head light ground plate for it to stop blowing bulbs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/hl%20recall%20ground%20plate.jpg

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the step for installing a new head light Ground Plate?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you look at the image I provided, it shows you where to install it. It simply lays on the back of the bulb, and the bulb hold down clip holds it against the bulb.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please elaborate on the steps involved in installing a new Ground Plate - what parts do I need? How do I connect the plate to the ground? What do I do with the ground attached to the headlight assembly?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

First did you see the image I provided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. The image makes complete sense. This is what the passenger side headlight looked like when I replaced that bulb.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That ground cable you unplug from the back of the head light assembly and plug it into that ground plate.

Understand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the ground plates available at places like Advanced Auto Parts or do I need to get it from the dealer?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It's a dealer item only I am afraid.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jay!