Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have an I35, 2003, drives fine then suddenly all dash

Customer Question

I have an I35, 2003, drives fine then suddenly all dash lights blink and car shuts off, while driving. I turn the car off and restart with no problems for a day or two. Check engine light is on with codes P0430 and P0411 and 14.2vdc at battery when no load and 13.8vdc with every accessory on. I'm perplexed because I didn't think those codes would result in the car shutting off while driving.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

How often does it do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saturday it happened once to my daughter @ 70mpg on the interstate. Sunday it happened to her while driving in town at 40mph. Monday it happened to my wife while driving 50mph. I discounted my daughter's story, but when the same happened to my wife I know there is a problem. The error codes are only for emissions, so I have no idea where to start. The alternator is good.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if a Cam Sensor has been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cam sensor has not been replaced.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The only thing I can think off based on the information you provided, I have seen Batteries with internal shorts do that. It actually happened on my car.

How old is the battery in the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been about 3 years since the battery was replaced. Are there any diagnostics I can perform to confirm a battery issue?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I have found that when you have a bad battery that is internally shorted, run at least 3 tests on it. If it fails one, then you need to replace it.

I had a 02 Altima. It stalled on me a number of times, but would then start right back up. I thought it was my Alternator just like you. My battery was 5 years old, where batteries normally are rated to last about 4 years. I changed it it never happened again.

Does this happen mainly at night with the lights on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once at night and twice during the day. I would guess the A/C was running each time as it is very hot here. I am going to get a new battery. If you are correct, you may have saved me installing O2 sensors, plus who knows what else. I will provide feedback later today.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you have the Alternator changed with in this past year?