eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2002 q45. The slip and vdc lights come on and the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 q45. The slip and vdc lights come on and the car looses power. Sometimes it will reset itself by turning off the engine and then back on. Can you help me with what is wrong
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

The first step we need to take is to read the fault codes, which can be done without a scan tool. I have uploaded the directions. Do this and let me know the fault code numbers and we can go from there

Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Erick,
Thanks for your response. The codes that show up are p1320, p1446, p0100, p0121, p0120. these may be old and in the computers memory. None of them seem to have anything to do with the slip control. Thanks for your help.
Jeff
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Those are all powertrain codes.
Did you use the method I uploaded to retrieve the ABS/Traction control codes? If not, you need to do so to pull these codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
I have been sick this last week but I'll try to get the codes to you ASAP.
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, no problem. Whenever you are able to is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got what I hope is the codes. It was very difficult to read the flashing slip light and make any sense out of it. What I think the numbers are is 8 58
61 62
67 58 Do any of these make any sense? Thanks.
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
8 - CAN(controller area network)data error
58- VDC/TCS/ABS control module voltage and ground circuit error
61 - ABS actuator motor or solenoid
62 - Actuator relay circuit
67 - reservoir brake fluid and VDC/TCS/ABS control module communication error
Taking all of these together, we see a clear indication that either the VDC/TCS/ABS control module has an internal failure or there is either a short or open circuit in the CAN serial data lines between the VDC/TCS/ABS control module and the ECM
Unfortunately, without a diagnostic scan tool that can communicate with the control modules and test them to determine if they are faulty or not or it is in the wiring, all you can do is check the wiring harness at the control module to make sure no obvious broken wiring or loose harness connector.
If nothing obvious, it will take some professional testing at this point to further diagnose it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help. My problem now is how do I fix it. I'm not sure where the parts you mentioned are and this problem is intermittent. When the light comes on it slows the car way down so I stop, turn the key off for about 30 seconds and it somehow resets itself but it will happen again. I have to drive about 10 miles before it starts acting up.
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

The control module is located behind the lower right side of the dash(see attached)

As to repairing yourself, all you can do is check the wiring at the module and if you see any cut, broken or chafed wiring, repair it.

If wiring is ok, then either the ecm or the vdc/tcs/abs control module is faulty. This REQUIRES a factory level scan tool to test to determine which is bad. And whichever one is bad will need to be replaced and will REQUIRE software programming with a factory level scan tool and software. This is simply beyond what you can do at home as the scan tool runs around $6500 and the software is proprietary to Infiniti and you have to have a commercial account with Nissan/Infiniti tech site. I pay almost $1500 a year for this.

So if wiring is ok, it will need a shop to diagnose which control module is bad and then replace and program the new one.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm working on it. I'll get back to you. I thought I had it Fixed by unpluging and pluging back the connections on the differential but it started acting up again. I should know after this weekend.
Expert:  eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good