Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have 2000 Frontier suddenly starts missing severely when

Customer Question

I have 2000 Frontier suddenly starts missing severely when warm, typically above 2000 rpm. Idles fine.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add that the vehicle is about 115,000 miles, and had a recent oil change with synthetic and lube. All systems checked. Timing belt was changed at around 95,000 miles. The phenomena of missed firings of the cylinders was progressively more and more violent to the point that it seemed like it would shake the engine apart, only to quickly quiet. RPM is the main trigger, but as it is a manual, I tried riding it so that was would use a higher gear at lower RPMs. But that also seemed to trigger the missing, and I was unable to drive faster than 60 mph on highway. Even low speeds seemed untenable. But when the mechanics were unable to reproduce this, they rode longer until they saw the same problem, after about 3 miles.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the catalytic converter is clogged. You can remove the front oxygen sensor completely from exhaust to relieve exhaust pressure, if that allows it to run better you know the converter is clogged. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe my mechanics ran a catalytic converter test which was negative. I will check when I pick up the vehicle in the morning. In case they did not, where is the Oxygen sensor located? Thanks!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The oxygen sensor is located on the exhaust manifold. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.