Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with 3.3L engine. The

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with 3.3L engine. The knock sensor needs to be replaced. How important is it to replace with genuine Nissan part versus aftermarket. Genuine part is around $230 versus roughly $50 for aftermarket
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Active Code P0328-knock sensor B1 was code found on inspection. No engine warning light is on
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, the Nissan sensors fail all the time so an aftermarket one couldn't be worse, and virtually all of them are made by the same two companies. If you google Nissan 3.3 Knock sensor relocation there is a way to replace the knock sensor into a different location and simply add in a new pigtail to connect to it. It makes it much easier to replace if you need to do it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a friend, non mechanic, tell me that just because there is a history of that code activating does not mean it necessarily needs to be replaced. True or False?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, they set the code usually for three reasons. Either the knock sensor is bad, there is corrosion on the connector, or the engine is noisy and causing the knock sensor to activate way too much. Normally you can hear if the engine is too noisy (loud valvetrain noise will do it) so if it still sounds pretty quiet, you probably need a sensor and connector.