Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2001 nissan altima gle a/c works when weather is cold does

Customer Question

2001 nissan altima gle a/c works when weather is cold does not work when is hot. Why? Changed compressor, dryer, expansion valve. System charged correctly 1.45lp .
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Make sure the cooling fans are both working. If one isn't or if the condenser is full of dirt and debris preventing good air flow, the freon will get hot and expand so much it will turn off the compressor because of the pressure switch. Sometimes you can clean out the fins on the condensor and radiator with a water hose and get the air flow back so the system will keep working.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Condensor is new.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Both cooling fans coming on with the compressor as well I assume?

Was this an issue prior to your replacing the entire system?
Does the compressor cycle on and off or run continually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think this was the original problem. When I got the car system was over charge and a lot of dye came out. Compressor was locking up and belt was screaming. I change everything except evaporator and flush the evap. Tried used pressure sensor still same. Change heat sender sensor still same. It works perfect when it is cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First question/ yes
second/ comp was locking
thirth / yes / when it is working
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I think I would check the pressure when it gets hot to see if the pressure switch is a possible issue. Also, I would like to know if it cycles properly when its hot. If it isn't then it's possible the evaporator is freezing up.

Sorry for my delayed response tonight, lost my internet connection for a bit.