Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

08 pathfinder having timing issues. Had motor apart TSB and

Customer Question

08 pathfinder having timing issues. Had motor apart for tensioner TSB and let cam sprockets spring out of location. Top dead center brings my key way on the crank to the right, all pics online show the key to the left if facing motor. I want to be sure before reassembly.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you have pictures of your timing mark locations so I can check your timing for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not before the mix up. This is the crank and cams now minus the chain. The pics will show it assembled and wrong so its not a good reference. I have the secondary chains and no.1 lobes exactly where they are supposed to be. Its just that key on the crank I'm concerned with. Prior to removing the balancer I put it at zero with the mark on the case. It is locked in place by the flywheel. So it has not moved. Photo is in my gallery and will not upload
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture the crank key facing one o'clock on my vehicle when contradictory photos online showing it at 11 o'clock for tdc
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It maybe easier to speak with you and also have you send me pictures another way.

Would that interest you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At work, its not possible at this time.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok..

Key way is at 11 o-clock

Bank 1 which is the passenger side, the timing mark on the sprocket should be at 11 o-clock also. Bank 2 should be at 1 o-clock.

Did you take the small chains off as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first attempt at this yes. Not this time. The secondary chains are marked properly with mating marks and painted links. The crank is my only issue. When the balancer was installed it was to be placed at zero tdc which is at one o'clock. The tdc mark is on the water pump cover on the case.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the key way should be at 11 o-clock. The timing mark on the crank gear would be at 5 o-clock

The primary chain has colored links that should line up to both cam timing marks and crank.

Also disable the fuel system before you start it. Turn the engine over to build oil pressure. Then enable the fuel system or ignition system.

Failure to turn the engine over to build oil pressure could result in the timing chain to jump a tooth on start up.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!