Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I drive a Nissan Altima around 60,000 miles. By accident I

Customer Question

Hey there!!
I drive a Nissan Altima around 60,000 miles . By accident I add the diesel gas to the car and I didn't notice it . I drive half a mile and notice the car start losing power and start shaking and stop in the middle of the street. I press the buttom and turn it off when I try to turn it again it won't start and smoke came out of the car . So I want to know if this would cost any damage to the engine . Would the car still running the same as did before ? Or it would be different now ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

First thing you will need to do is drain the gas tank and clean it. Then you could possibly be looking at a fuel pump and all injectors. But I would start with the tank first and get the diesel out first. You shouldn't have hurt the engine, you will want to change the oil as well, cause the diesel is does not ignite in the cylinder and can wash out the cylinder walls and get into the oil

Figure 2 to 3 hours labor to get the gas out of the tank and see how it runs with good fuel. If you need a fuel pump, add a hour to the labor and the pump is around 300 or so. If you need all 4 injectors, you can add around 2 to 3 hours in labor and around 450 in parts.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the respond . So I got that car on the dealership 3 days ago and the incident happen yesterday . I'm waiting for the mechanics respond I couldn't have a chance to explain what happen since the car is under warranty and left the car when the shop was close . My concern since I going to be paying for this car in the next 3yrs I want to make sure the car would still running fine with no difficulty?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, normally incorrect gas only affects the fuel system. So your only worry really is the fuel pump and injectors along with cleaning out the tank of course. Once you change the oil and get the fuel system straighten out, you should be fine.

if you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

Thanks Jay!