Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

The lights on my 07 murano blinks constantly in time with

Customer Question

Hi Mike the lights on my 07 murano blinks constantly in time with the engine idle speed
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Which lights are blinking with engine speed? Inside dash lights? Does it flash when you try to start the car? or with the car running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
headlights, interior, and dash all blink/flash at idle speed , car also idles rough.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a Volt meter? I have a simple test I would like to perform.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have one. ground wires are tight.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, I think you have a Alternator issue. What I was going to simply ask is if you turn off all loads, Head lights and AC and measure voltage at the battery, you should see around 14.3 volts. Then when you turn the head lights on, Rear Defroster and AC , the voltage should be around 13.8. If the voltage is lower than this, it means the Alternator is not charging properly and will need to be replaced.

I also recommend if you do need a Alternator, get it from the dealer. Alternators from auto parts stores if you even get one that works, only last a year or less.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You Jay. I will have the test done at the local Auto Zone and follow up with you.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Wait.. Auto Zone tests this wrong. Make sure they test it like I stated!!! That they don't remove the alternator and bench test it. When they bench test, they don't put a load on it, so it almost always passes. Make sure they test it exactly as I described with a volt meter.