Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Same Nissan the trans made a funny noise from tranny. It

Customer Question

Mike, same Nissan the trans made a funny noise from tranny. It sounded like a small length of roller chain slapping around inside the tranny, It was a little low on trans fluid. topped it off and now drive is in neutral position and reverse acts like it's
fighting drive and low acts like it's fighting reverse. noise now gone.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I would start by dropping the pan to see what kind of debris might be in there. Chain slapping sound can't be good and I would think it would be more then likely a planetary gear then one of the internal discs or a solenoid. Possibly the atf pump, sorry I don't have a clearer answer then that at the moment. If it were electrical then the a/t temp light should be flashing or the O/D light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll drop the pan in the morning. after messing with it a little it acts like whatever valve engages for forward motion is stuck because it goes forward in 2nd 3rd D N, and acts like a trans brake in park and it stalls out in park at about 2000 rpm, same as 1rst and reverse. what valve in valve body controls pressure to forward gears?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

This may actually be an issue with the torque converter. It should not stall the truck when it's in park. Thinking it's possible the sound you heard was something coming apart in the converter. If you can, put a scan tool on it and check for transmission codes. Possibly the lockup solenoid is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no trans codes.the pan didn't have any chunks in it. the valve body or packs seems to be stuck in drive no matter what gear the shifter is in. I can feel it pull forward in reverse park and neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also stalls out in low gear. second, drive and neutral it will drive forward and shift through the gears. in 2nd gear position it stays in 1rst, in D it will use 1rst and 2nd gears in neutral it will use all 4 forward gears as far as I could tell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shifter moved easy, it just acts like it stays in drive even when I shift out of drive. like drive and reverse work against each other in reverse and drive works against park gear pawl in park and it stalled out at about 2000. it feels like a transbrake almost.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to open this back up. I think you have a torque converter issue but can't be sure. Other guys on here are better with transmissions then I am. Don't reply to me or it will lock it right back to me and they won't be able to help.