Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 1998 nissan maxima, manual transmission. car will

Customer Question

I have a 1998 nissan maxima, manual transmission. car will not crank. new starter, new ignition switch, new key cylinder. when turning the key, the interior dash lights come on, no security light comes on. There is a a 3 second whizzing sound, but starter will not engage and a click. The batter is new as well. tried to jump inhibitor relay 3 to 4, nothing. Looking at Neutral Safety Switch, but don't know how to test it to see if it is the problem.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Do you still need help with this?

So when you turn the key you are getting this whirring sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a whirring sound for about 2 to 3 seconds and it stops . There is no crank, no attempt of starter engaging. But starter is new, ignition switch new, key cylinder new, battery new, checked inhibitor and anti theft start relays by swapping with others....checked fuses. How do you bypass antitheft? The car has no alarm.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I would try looking at the clutch switch if you get nothing at all. The whirring sound may be one of the electronic engine mounts powering up. If you can confirm it's the starter making the noise, then it is likely a bad ground connection. I really think you should try bypassing the clutch safety switch. Unplug it and make a jumper wire. No click at all means you have nothing going to the starter at all.

Let me knwo