Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

Daughter was driving 50 mph on the way and the car lost

Customer Question

Daughter was driving 50 mph on the hiway and the car lost power and ses light came on.... someone helped her tobthe side of the road and I came and it started and drove it home. Ses lite is on still. What should I do ? We bought this car last week 2005 xterra
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am super stressed out on this as we bought it from BLOK charity auction house in Gardena , Ca. - There was a mileage discrepancy the car reads 90 k and the carfax came back with a reading at 175 k recently - I have been reading horror stories re: the xterra and issues with the tranny and other things - I am hoping this in minor , I cant afford a major repair on a car I just bought - also, fyi the ses lite came on the day after we bought i t, but went out right away - now this happened today with the car losing power at 50 mph ! - my kid is 16 and was stopped in the middle of the hiway , lucky some people helped her !!
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

You will need to take your vehicle to the repair facility of your choice that has a technician with a high level of skill and an up to date scanner , so that the technician can diagnose what caused the check engine light that is still on, you see,with the light still on it means a trouble code has been stored in the computers memory and as long as the battery is not disconnected, the failure codes and history (electronic) of the failure will stay stored.

There are also Laws in CA which protect you in the event of a mileage rollback situation the auction house will be forced to return your money, pleasse rate my service a 3 or above and if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, I am here for you until my answers satisfy you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well , I know with the light on I would need to have it looked at, I planned on doing that tomorrow- are you a nissan specialist and do youhave nay experience with issues similar to what I am describing with the xterra here ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - yes it says nissan mechanic under your name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I ask you something ? -
A vehicle failing at hiway speed could be any number of causes, I can tell you this I am a Master certified technician, I have worked on thousands of Nissans in my 35 years as a technician. One of these three issues has occurred 1 ) fuel supply stopped being supplied, 2) ignition failed ,3) timing of the ignition failed. Your failure will require a technician with a high level of skill and an up to date scanner, electrical wiring diagrams, and the ability to use them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey - it is the code for the cam shaft positioning sensor - about a 40.00 part - what I am confused about is then the guy gave me a quote to repair, he said there is actually two of them , but from what I see there is only one. He said he would charge me 370 !! I asked him how much labor he said .7 -- I said thanks no thanks - and left. With that code do I need one or two parts >?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXxKTBynjzc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anyway - nevermind - I guess you got busy and couldnt answer my questions further