Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2009 Maxima AC blows Hot (134k miles) Got recharge kit...

Customer Question

2009 Maxima AC blows Hot (134k miles) Got recharge kit... shows 130 In low but no adapters fit in the high pipe, the belt is turning.... Inside display shows the outside temp way off. It's sunday and headed to Ft Brnning in the am... What can I check next?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

130 is low if your measuring pressure on the High side. Do you see the compressor clutch turning on and off when you turn the AC on and Off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
130 is the pressure in the LOW pressure port. None of the adapters that came with the recharge kit fit the HIGH side port. I don't know exactly what the clutch looks like but you can hear something running when I turn ac on auto and don't hear it when I turn it off.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. Then that is pressure of the AC compressor not coming on.

See if what you are hearing is your cooling fans coming on and off with the AC and let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that could be the sound. I do know it's not the normal compressor sound.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

See if you can tell me if it's the fans coming on please. Cause if it's the fans, you may have a bad compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it is. Fan blows on high. Is there a relay switch or sensor or something I should check? How do I know if it's the compressor that's bad or something not telling it to kick in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I replace a compressor myself on a sunday or will I need to find a mechanic in GA tomorrow?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the fans are coming on, that means the compressor is getting the request to turn on. Based on the pressure reading, you either have to much freon in the system or the compressor has failed. I would have the AC system recovered and recharged then check to see if the compressor operates. If it doesn't, then the Compressor and Receiver drier will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I drain the freon and refill myself?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Doing a compressor on your own is not advised due to the safety of the freon. That can hurt you if not recovered.

It is really not advised to work on you AC system your self.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't added any freon since I got the car so I didn't overfill it???
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have not touch the freon, and it did work before. Then it's most likely compressor failure.

Any time you replace the Compressor, you need to change the receiver drier as well.