Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

I have a 2003 nissan sentra 1.8 and it won't start. I

Customer Question

I have a 2003 nissan sentra 1.8 and it won't start. I changed the starter and put a brand new battery in, the alternator is 2 months old. It turns over but it sounds like something is grinding. Here's a video
https://youtu.be/vPzmmT7xtlc
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
I took a look at your video and I'm sorry to say it sounds like the timing chains have broken or slipped and the engine is spinning over very fast because there is no compression. some of the clanking noise could be the pistons hitting the valves because its so out of time, the thing to do next is to remove the valve cover and see about rolling the engine over by hand to check the valve timing and possibly see if the chain is broken, if it is and the valves are bent it may be better to replace the engine rather that trying to fix it as it could be cheaper