Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Cam I got my knock sensor replaced 2 times in a month. I

Customer Question

Hi cam I got my knock sensor replaced 2 times in a month. I just got it back yesterday I drove it 12 miles and it came back on. Another question is that I had a leak that was causing my car to smoke but they fixed it I'm wondering if that the spilled oil is causing the light I don't want to spend anymore money than I did already. Thank you for your time
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

Do you know what codes are being stored?
The knock sensor won't cause the check engine light to come on, even if the code is stored, so there must be another code that is causing the light.

Please let me know when you can, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0400 p0325 and a oxygen sensor code are the codes I got when I failed inspection. When I plug the computer in no codes came in and I went to spect ion yesterday there no codes I'm confused that it is on again
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

So, you are saying the check engine light was on and there weren't any codes when you scanned it? Did the inspection computer show no codes, or did you use a code reader?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The inspection told me that there was no codes and I went to autozone too same thing no codes present
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I drive my car it smokes a little bit but the mechanic said its from the leak and that the oil is burning still and I have to wait for the oil to Burn off
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

The 99 maxi has 2 diagnostic connectors on it, one is the OBDII that the code reader and the inspection computer connect to. The other is the factory connector, this is a grey 17 pin connector. I believe you will have to have it scanned using this connector to determine why the light is on. The OBDII should actually pass even though the light is on because there aren't any codes in the OBD system, the light is on because of a code stored in the Nissan system. Without getting into that system we can't tell why the light is on,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I be able to pass inspection and another thing is something actually wrong withy car ?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I think the car will pass the computer test, but that really depends on if the inspection station is willing to accept it with the check engine light on. There is something going on with the car, but whatever is happening is not part of the OBDII monitoring system. It has to be a Nissan only code making the light come up. This was how they were made until 2000-2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I went to inspection it checked out they said I had to drive it and the light will come off I'll try that,also another question is where do you recommend I take my car to get it checked so I can know what's wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that my check engine could be on for no reason or something is wrong for sure?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You will have to find a shop that can connect to it with the Nissan 17 pin connector, I would suggest the dealer or calling around. They should be able to clear the light after performing any repairs the car may need.