Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

On my 2005 Nissan Altima 2.4, the car was shaking when the

Customer Question

On my 2005 Nissan Altima 2.4, the car was shaking when the a/c was on and a ticking noise came from the altinator. Well, I replaced the belt and put in a new alternator(rebuild) and the noise is a lot better. The problem is that there is still a noise coming from the water pump or at least I believe so. The alternator and drive belt were replaced yesterday. Thanks for any help. :)
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, so the idle issue has cleared up? It's just mainly the noise that's concerning you now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I want to tell you everything I know. When the A/c is on and we are parked then you can hear a light rumble. When the car is being driven, there is no noise. The noise used to be way worse before I replaced the belt and the Automator. There is also a roar or a sound that sounds like water going through the lines. The tensioner turns when I turned it to see if it needed to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no idle issue. I believe it's the water pump. It's a grumbly sound like water passing through a hose. When the a/c is on there is a small rumble sound. When the car is off then there is no noise. The noise is not horrible but it's still audible and annoying and my gf doesn't feel secure driving it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the noise that concerns me.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

We don't see alot of issues with these water pumps, but when we do they are pretty easy to diagnose because the pulley makes a roaring sound.

If you remove the drive belt and spin the pulley by hand it will make a slight roar when you turn it, then you know its bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant altinator not Automator lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me listen to an Altima with the roar and I'll let you know. Let me check YouTube quickly.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a gurgling sound.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

a gurgling sound would generally indicate AIR in the coolinf system and require you to burp it.

it wouldn't be an issue with the pump itself or the pulley.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coolant was filled to the top. I've checked it several times and it's always cooked to the top.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

when air is trapped in the cooling system it has nothing to do with the coolant level.

The air has to be forced out by burping the system with a coolant bucket and holding it at 2500 rpms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it Friday or Saturday and let you know if it works.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

sounds good.