Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Trying to figure out why my nissan altima (2001) will not

Customer Question

trying to figure out why my nissan altima (2001) will not crank
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you know if the starter is getting power at the signal wire when the key is turned to the Crank Position

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure, but I did identify that the fuse in the vehicle for the starter signal is not hot. The fuse is fine and all the other fuses in the panel are hot.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It only is HOT when the key is in the Crank Position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the key was in the crank position. Lights on the dash are operable. I use a test light to confirm in the panel box. I also looked at the fuse box under the hood. all of those fuses looked good.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if the car has a after market alarm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure, I am the second owner of the vehicle, however the original owner did not mention installing an after market alarm.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have a after market alarm it would interrupt that power to that fuse.

If you do have a after market alarm, it's normally located under the drivers side dash. See if you can locate a control unit that looks similar to this image. If you find it, unplug the one big connector.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/After%20market%20Alarm%20control%20unit%20unplugged.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not able to locate an after market alarm system, but I did wiggle some wires that trigger the cd player to turn on. after that I tried to start my car and it started.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Really? Where were these wires you wiggled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two sets, one is located under the steering column just to the left, which are connected to a small box. This is what I thought may be the alarm system. The other was located under the drivers side near the center console. I believe this is the one that trigger the cd player to start.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well you may want to follow those wires and ensure good connections.

Did the box look similar to the one in the image I shared?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the box is narrow and fat where as the image is wide and thin. I am now very confused.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a picture of it and show me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached are some pictures taking of the device that the wires are connected to.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Just got online. I need to download a converter. I don't have a newer version of office..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The is a mode door actuator.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You shook that and it started?