Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima, The push button is stuck in the

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima, The push button is stuck in the ON position but the car is not running. The only way to turn it off is by disconnecting the battery. When I reconnect the battery and try to start the car it gets stuck in the same ON position. The radio works, lights inside the car work, brake lights work, air works, horn works...but the headlights are not working.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

When the ignition is stuck on, the engine will not start right? It's just stuck in the ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car was running and I got out of the car with the Fob. A friend was in my car and drove off. About 30 minutes later I went to my car and it was stuck in the on position but not running.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This could be a number of things. A scanner is the first thing normally used to determine direction. A CAN system call to communicate with all control unit to see which ones are communicating is what you start with.

The last one I had worked on with a similar issue, had a bad fuse box. So this will require advanced electrical diag to determine your fault.

Do you have a sunroof?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sunroof
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ever have a windshield replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I keep seeing posts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About the steering lock but some of my problems seem a little different
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of. I've had the car for a year
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, the steering lock issue is for a no start issue. The ignition would not come on. It's not for a ignition getting stuck on and not starting.

That is going to be a control unit issue or fuse box issue.

This is going to require advanced diagnostics to determine the exact cause. Most common is the fuse box.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have anything. I'm going to have someone take a look at it but I was just trying to get an idea of what it could be.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is most likely a control unit issue or fuse box issue. The best place to have this checked is the dealer. Most repair shops will get lost with this type of issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it's possible that someone could have unhooked something so it would be stuck like this?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hard to say. Not likely.