Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Odd problem on 2011 Nissan Versa with 33,000 miles: Left

Customer Question

Odd problem on 2011 Nissan Versa with 33,000 miles: Left rear brake light stops working then when I pressed on the brake pedal while stopped the engine loaded and the rpms dropped. A while after this I noticed the left rear brake light was working again but a parking light was out. What directly controls the lights a Programmable Logic Controller, PLC type device controlled by the cars main computer or are the lights controlled directly by the main computer?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Here is a silly question. Have you tried changing the bulb for that tail light? I have seen where the bulb filament are weak and sometimes illuminate and sometimes they don't. The left tail light uses a duel filament bulb that is controlled by the IPDM. But the stop lamp part of the circuit is direct feed from the brake pedal switch.

Please give that a try and let me know what happens.

Thanks Jay!