Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My car was lurching and then it would just quit running. It

Customer Question

My car was lurching and then it would just quit running. It always started back up. No check engine light but the obd showed the maf wasn't putting out the right voltage that the repair manual showed. Replaced the maf and the car seemed ok for about two weeks now it's doing the same thing
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

The MAF sensor you installed, where did you buy it? Also do you have a Cold air intake or K&N air filter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the maf from autozone. It was an aftermarket. I am not sure about my air intake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The air filter was replaced when the maf was.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well I can say as a start, that After Market MAF sensors never work right. I have won a bet with my Boss on this. A after market Maf sensor if you even get one that meters air properly, which most don't, if you do get one that meters air properly it flat lines 02 sensor operations and can have you replacing parts you don't need.

So first thing you will need to do is replace the MAF sensor with one from the dealer. Then if you have a scanner, monitor the Air and Fuel trim readings known as STFT ( Short Term Fuel Trim ) or Alpha, and let me know what those readings are after it's replaced.

Do you have a full blown scanner that can take those readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. It will show graphs while the car is running for certain tthings
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you find out if you can monitor those readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure I can. But I'm not at home right now so I don't have access to the obd.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I can keep this question open if you would like to continue later this evening when you are home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks that would be great.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I will talk to you later then. I will be back online in the evening around 6 or 7 pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm. Talk to you then!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you are online so we can continue
Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I will be online till 10 or 11 pm EST so let me know when you will be available so I can continue to help you.
Thanks Jay!