Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I've have an 04 Nissan maxima we 5speed automatic. Recently

Customer Question

I've have an 04 Nissan maxima we 5speed automatic. Recently put new timing chain tensioners on. Got the car put back together and had a crank but no start. Put new crank and can sensors on. Now it will start on on first try but will only run for about 5 seconds. If you keep trying it will just crank and no start. But if you let the car sit for 15 minutes or longer and then go to start it will again start right up but then die after 5 seconds. Is it not getting enough fuel and where would a fuel pressure test post be located. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

If you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light ON Solid? Also, do you have any codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is at my shop so I won't be able to check until morning. We checked for codes before I changed the sensors and at that time there were no codes. The security light you are talking about is it on the instrument panel and will the light day( security) or do you mean the red blinking light towards the windshield on the middle of the dash
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The security light is the red blinking light towards the windshield.

When will you be at the shop to check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am will be at the shop right away in the morning After I get off work.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will be online around 9 or 10 am EST. I will continue to help you when I get online at that time.

Sound good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.. Talk to tomorrow morning..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am available now. Please reply when you are ready as well.
Thanks for waiting.
Let me know about that security light.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Also let me know if you would like to speak with me. I can offer you additional service where I can provided you with my contact number so we can speak about your issue as well.
Just letting you know that is one of your options.
Let me know about the security light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the security light when the key is in the on position and it doesn't not light up. Checked for codes again and the only code is a p0726 engine speed sensor
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You get a Engine Speed signal from a bad cam sensor.
Did you replace the Cam Sensors with ones from the dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the cam sensors on Friday. Before then it would not start at all. It does now but only runs for the 5 seconds and until I let it sit for a few minutes it will just crank over
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Try this.. Unplug the Bank 2 Cam Sensors and see if it will start and idle. If it doesn't, then plug Bank 2 back in and unplug bank 1 Cam sensor and see if it will start and idle.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged bank 2 the one towards the front and it just cranked. Then unplugged bank 1 near the firewall and it started and ran longer than normal but eventually died it idled rough when it was running
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That tells me your timing maybe off.

Did you disable the fuel system when you did the timing chain work?

Why did you do the timing chains?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not disable the fuel system when we worked on the timing chain. There was a loud ticking coming from the timing cover area so I replaced one of the tensioners. When the cover was off I'm 99% sure the chain never came off and skipped a tooth. Where do I go from here
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This maybe easier to explain on the phone. Would that be something you are interested in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plugged the sensor back in and it will start on every turn of the key run smooth for 10 seconds now then will slowly die. I would prefer not to do the phone call right now.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

See if you can monitor intake timing when it runs for that 10 seconds and can you give me those readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the motor is running if I press the gas pedal at all It wants to cut out.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The reason the timing is most likely your issue is this. When ever timing chain work is done, you want to disable the fuel system. After you are done with the timing chain work, turn the engine over to allow tensioners to build pressure. Failure to do this it can jump time. Which I think may have happened.

Start and idle only, don't need to step on the gas.. Just try to capture those readings..

Also, are the Cam Sensors you installed from the dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the cam sensors weren't from a dealer. They were bought online
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. After Market Sensors never work right! When it comes to electrical parts, never use after market. Do you have the original sensors still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have the orginals. Just put both old cam sensors back in and the and it did the same thing. Unplugged bank 1 cam sensor and started it. It is running like normal now idling good but with bank 1 sensor plugged in
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Perfect. So it runs with Bank 1 unplugged!!!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then that tells me 100% your timing did jump when you started the engine. What I would do now, since it runs with Bank 1 unplugged, while it's running, Pull the fuel pump fuse and you will then need to redo the mechanical timing. Once it's done again. Turn the engine over a few times to build oil pressure. Then put your fuel pump fuse in, and start the car and you should be good.

Don't use those after market sensors!! They are junk!

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Where can I go to find out how to do the mechanical timing. My father used to be a mechanic but doesn't know much about the newer vehicles and isn't sure how to do the mechanical timing on a nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You said you did timing chains. When I say the mechanical timing, I mean you need to reset your timing chains. It jumped a tooth when you started it.
If you have any more questions on this please feel free to ask.
Thanks Jay