Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Brake lights will not go out after 2000 Frontier SE V6

Customer Question

Brake lights will not go out after 2000 Frontier SE V6 engine and all switches are turned off. Took out starting battery this morning for recharge and replaced it back into the truck and had to turn off alarm system. Have tried starting, stopping, test drive and look under the hood for short circuit or wires out of place. Might have missed something. Suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

If the brake lights do not go out, you are looking at one of two things that can cause this. First is the Brake switch. This is located down by the brake pedal. This is what detects the brake pedal is pressed and it turns the brake lights on. If this switch goes bad, the brake lights can remain on like you are describing. The second thing is where the switch contacts at the pedal is a plastic grommet. I have seen where that has fallen out and is not pressing the switch which is keeping the brake lights on. The link below is where the brake switch is located. Don't get confused between the brake switch and the cruise control cancel switch. To identify which is the brake switch, unplug it first and if the lights go off, that is the one. The brake switch is normally the harder of the two switches.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/brkswitch.jpg

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!