Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima.AC Blowers work great, but cools

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima.AC Blowers work great, but cools only for a few seconds and then won't cool for about 10 minutes. When it does start cooling, it cools GREAT! Have had Freon level checked and filled, no change. Almost like the compressor doesn't really know when to switch on until about 10 minutes into the drive...anything I can check real easily?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Does the car have the auto climate control or manual?

Are you saying once you have driven it 10 minutes all is fine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has both auto climate and manual, and the problem is the same no matter which setting it is on. and YES, once I've driven it 10-15 minutes or so, the ac starts cooling and is great for the entire rest of the drive. Until then it blows air that is the same temperature as outside. And YES, it does this whether I have the "recirculate" on or off. AND the Freon level has been checked.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

Is your outside temp reading properly?
Also, check the cooling fans, make sure both are kicking on when the compressor comes on. Make sure the compressor is in fact kicking on when you first start the car as well. This is about all that you can check "easily" especially with the auto control system. There are several sensors that report to the computer to make sure the compressor should be kicking on. So, if one isn't when you first fire it up it may not kick on. Seems like it is possible the cabin air temp sensor or the ambient air temp sensor. However, if both fans are not coming on, it will build pressure very quickly and the pressure sensor will turn off the compressor. Then, once you are cruising the air flow through the condenser and radiator will lower the pressure and the compressor is able to work.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the inside temperature sensor, and how can I know if it is reading correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, would this cause the problem as I am having it also when I have the fan on manual control as well as auto?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to read the outside temp, if what it's reading is matching within 5 or so degrees, then the sensor is fine. if it's reading 60 and it's really 80 out there would be a problem.

As for the fan being on manual or auto, the fan doesn't care if it's blowing cold or hot air. The fact that you are changing from hot to cold and back and forth like this is the actual problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the INSIDE air sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For temperature inside the car? Or IS there one?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

There is, i am sending you a diagram of it's basic location. You can see the small vents or grill on the dash, this is where the intake temp is. Actually this has all the sensors locations inside the car on it.