Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

06 Altima 2.5 I replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor

Customer Question

06 Altima 2.5 I replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor still no spark. I sent out he ECM to be checked and it is good. checked all fuses and relays swapped relays around and still no spark. checked for voltage at crank , cam , coil at the connectors
and all is good 12vdc. they are all getting ground. car has 50,000 miles so t chain is still go I think its not loose and no wear on the cam gears. replaced the ignition diode by the injectors and still no spark. checked al grounds and all are clean and tight.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Did you replace the Cam and Crank sensors cause you had a code for them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I did not have a code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no codes at all . I am getting power to the coils, crank , cam , vss , ecm relay, and all fuses are good and grounds are good
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Did this happen out of the blue? Did you change your battery or did your battery go dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was driving for about an hour then I shut it off and a few hours later I went to start it back up and it would not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it drove fine no issues
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid? You have a code reader or scanner correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn on they ignition I do not see a security light
and yes I have a mac tools scanner
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It's very odd for there not to be a code and no spark. The only time I see that is when there is a After Market Cam or Crank Sensor. Where did you get the sensors you put in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I unplug them then I get a code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am getting power to the injectors and the fuel pump is working
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Good.. Check the negative battery cable where it mounts to the trans Tell me if that is broken where it mounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just checked it again and it is clean and tight no breaks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The car doesn't have a after market alarm or anything does it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is stock i have had it since it was new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i never had an issue with it till now
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you turn the engine over can you see Rpm signal? This is a odd one. Don't run into no start issues to often with no codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not see the tach move but my scanner says the engine is turning over at 250 rpms
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a noid light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i do and it does not flash while i turn the engine over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked the power output and it is 12.5 vdc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried a new coil and still nothing
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
wow.. The Cam and Crank Sensors are the primary signals that would determine that. Do you have a oscilloscope to monitor signals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cant even get it to cough there is no spark on all coils
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i don't have that scope
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Did you ever change the engine on this car? or any type of major repair?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Does this car have a sunroof?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none at all the car has 50,000 original miles nothing major except the warped brake rotors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sun roof
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well then lets do a Ecm terminal Reference check.. 1 sec..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have been working on cars for 40 yrs and this is the first car to stump me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is my personal car i am glad it is not a customers.
i work for my self here in Barstow,ca
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20EC.pdf This is the full Ecm Terminal layout and what wire does what. Of course only do the pins that say key on or engine off or something. Skip the engine running, cause it doesn't run!..lol.. What I do is print these out and bring it to the car and I will make may self comfortable and start taking readings and writing down on the print out what I find at each wire. See if I can find something out of place. I don't stop if I find something. I go through the whole layout. Then I read it and examine my findings. So lets do that and get back to me when you are done and we will go over if anything is abnormal... Ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't have a y cable for that ecm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean? All you need is a Volt meter and a T-Pin to back probe the Ecm connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the page i looked at says to connect a y cable.
ok i am using a t pin already i will let you know what i find
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i am done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything is within limits as said on the sheet
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Wow.. Damn!!! This is a good one... I was hoping for something with that... Can you communicate with the BCM. I am now starting to think it maybe a BCM or a IPDM issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bcm? ipdm?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Body Control Module, and Intelligent Power Distribution Module. When you turn the key to the ON position, does the cooling fan come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
What state do you live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California... (crapafornia)
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well it's better than Dirty Jersey lol
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping you were closer. This one is one I would love to help with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is it is humid here and 105 degrees i am in the Mojave desert 100 miles west of las vegas
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well, .. I would love to try another IPDM. That is that control unit like fuse box under the hood on the passenger side by the over flow bottle.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The IPDM is the only control unit that does cause a Service Engine Soon light, and I have seen it cause no start conditions cause the Ecm Relay is built into it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i swapped the ecm relay with the fog light relay and no change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked to see if it had power and it did and ground and i can hear it click
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
yeah. That trick is for Armada's, Titans, Pathfinders, Xterra's, Frontiers and QX56s. Never seems to work on Maxima's, Altima's or Z's..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok i have never had a vehicle try to whoop me ever this is my first in 40 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at least it is my car
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I hear ya.. I have had some whoppers. But I normally always win.. Yeah, but even still. When it's your own car, that is when you really don't want to spend that kinda time on it...lol..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have built many cars from scratch and never this kind of issue
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I hear ya..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i mostly build hot rods and dune buggys with corvette engines and one of a kind cars
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Then you know what that means..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Time to put a LS3 in this thing and be done with it!!...lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wish but the ol lady drives it and my daughter . they don't need that kind of power
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
LOL...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are driving my jeep now and i don't like it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they keep telling me that they are tempted to go off road with it and i m the only one who does that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so how do i check those modules
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Wow.. Yeah. that isn't good!...lol Can we get a Used IPDM and try that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can try
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Lets try that. I will keep this question open so you can return and keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was having an issue several months ago with 02 sensors failing but i replaced them with dealer 02's and the problem went away
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, when it comes to after market electrical parts, they never work right on these cars. So stay away from them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would throttle pos sensor cause this issue
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you unplug the throttle chamber, it would start and idle in limp mode. But since this is a Throttle by wire system, if there was a problem with the Throttle Chamber, you would certainly have a code!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i was told the tps could cause this
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
There would be a code!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have yet to see any code except when i un plug stuff and try to start it or unplug and check for codes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
That is why I want you to try the IPDM. That is the most common thing to cause issue with no codes. Other than bad gas.. But bad gas won't cause no spark or injector pulse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will try to find one and i will let you know thanks for your time it really helped me out not to pull what hair i have left out or the wife to do it. THANK YOU!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome... I am going to keep the Rating off till we figure this out. Please get back to me and let me know how it goes after you have changed the IPDM..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES I WILL.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Cool. ... Talk to you soon then. Have a good weekend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see ya later... its miller time!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Take care..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I went to a wrecking yard that a friend of mine owns and I got two ipdm's out of 2005 Altima's plugged them in after checking all relays and fuses and still no spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I found out what it is it is running like a top........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried the spare key and it fired right up i guess the key i was using lost its programing....son of a bitch !!!! atleast i get my jeep back and not out of a lot of money.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Wow.. I asked if the security light was on solid when the key was in the ON position, and you said no. The security light turns on Solid when the key is turned to the ON position indicating a Key issue. Either way, you got your car running, that is good! and what even better is that you got your Jeep back!...lol Have a good weekend, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Thanks Jay!