Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Altima: Wife was driving her 08 Altima and it died. I have

Customer Question

Wife was driving her 08 Altima and it died. I have tried the brake switch and I have tried to reset the security system by disconnecting the battery cables still nothing works. It will cycle through the acc and on settings but the starter will not come on. I also noticed that normally when I get in the car it has a icon on the dash telling me to put my foot on the brake, it's no longer doing that. All it's telling me to do is pull the key out.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
First off, a faulty brake switch won't cause the vehicle to stall. It can cause a no-start on the intelligent key models though because it will only cycle through acc/on if it's out. Since the vehicle stalled while driving and won't restart, more than likely your looking at a cam sensor failure here. Is the service engine light on? does the engine still crank? it just won;t fire over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't try to crank. No service light comes on. Usually when you get in the car it has a icon of a foot and a pedal telling me to mash the brake and hit the start button. For some reason it doesn't show that all it showing me is the icon that lets you know the key pad is still in the car.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you may have a dead battery?
do the headlights work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes head lights come on. The battery is not dead. When I hit the start button the fans come on the dashboard lights come on, even the radio... Just no starter. I hooked jumper cables up from the car to my truck for a while just to make sure the battery wasn't weak.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Ok, are you saying the condensor fan comes on? the one by the radiator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea everything comes on as it normally would except the starter. Like something electrical is holding it out
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
The condensor fan SHOULD NOT come on with the ignition in start position.
This is an indication of a control unit failure.
Even more commonly, when we see a control unit failure while driving it is related to the IPDM which the starter circuit is controlled by.
So please confirm that you are referring to the condensor/radiator fan and NOT the blower fan that blows air through your vents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a second.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
will do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, Best I can tell it's just the blower for the a/c.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
its not hard to tell, just listen for a fan running towards the front of the engine. You can turn the a/c off. because if an engine fan is On, then its a completely different route we take here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm gonna go ahead and load it on the wrecker. It's been in a church parking lot for 2 days. I have a friend that gonna hook it up to his diagnostic machine to see what kind of fails it gives us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But no the engine fan isn't running
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. If the engine fan IS Not running that's good news. The fact that you can cycle through ACC/ON tells us that there is not an issue with the KEY itself. The key has to be detected by the proximity sensor in order to operate the ignition cycle. The things required to make it try and start would be a brake switch signal. Since you replaced the switch i am curious if the brake lamps are working normally? if not could be an issue with the harness which i have seen on occasion. Granted, when the brake switch itself is at fault it usually is telling you teo press the brake in the cluster LED.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
the only OTHER things we can do is some testing with a volt meter to see what signal is missing at the IPDM. let me know if you have a meter and when you can test
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
DID YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE?