Mike O.
Mike O., Master Technician
Experience:  18 years with Nissan/Infiniti dealerships
39767275

Truck: , I have 1997 Nissan truck ( about to 200k miles)

Customer Question

HI, I have 1997 Nissan truck ( about to 200k miles) works well,but lately driving early morning about 30 miles to town,and after 3-4 hours later going back,about 20-30 miles engine start like "misfiring" for about 3-4 miles (on freeway) than after while it start working fine again and than this is repeating in town,and some times(most often) engine dies on traffic lights, I have no problem to start again and go until another stop light and situation is repeating itself. Why I have no problem mornings(maybe engine is cold?) but here in Cal. is never cold! But returning home is always warmer/hotter.
Changed spark plugs,spark plgs.wires,cap,rotor,and new gas filter.
Would you please advise?
Thanks Frank H
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.
We're the ignition parts (plugs,cap,rotor,wires) factory from the dealer parts or aftermarket? Also auto or manual trans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shop and have good parts in past from Pep Boys(no dealer parts). And truck has manual trans.
Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.
Before these parts were replaced, when was the last time these were replaced. Also is the distributor leaking any oil? Factory parts are very important on these cars especially ignition parts. Aftermarket parts never really function properly and usually go bad in a year or so. Is the check engine light on at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did replaced parts a couple years ago,and when it started(recently) after I replaced parts it was doing same thing .the check engine light is on.
Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.
OK since the check engine light is on first thing is to get the car scanned for trouble codes to help make the diag a lot easier. Sounds like it could be a bad distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK,I did check and scanned for code(i do have code reader),it shows --- P0100 (MAF),,,,, MAS air flow (VAF) Volume Air
(just thinking wouldn't be possible bad Ballast resistor? if not please explain) just guessing,Thanx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did replaced also distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you answer my questions,please. so far you said what is obvious,but you did not address possible problems.
Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, had family issues. If the code you got is P0100 nine times out of ten on these old cars, the mass air flow sensor is bad. Usually when it gets hot, it tends to act up. I don't know what ballast resistor you are referring to.