Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Altima: My key is stuck in my 2003 altima. I drive the car

Customer Question

My key is stuck in my 2003 altima. I drive the car home put it in park abs turned it off. Later that evening I was going to the store and got in the car, put the key in the ignition and the dash panel lit up quickly abs then everything turned off. My lights won't work, the radio won't turn on, no power at all. The car is still in park yet the key won't turn to the the point where I can remove it.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
this most likely is a faulty ignition switch. However, did you check for blown fuses first?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't check for any blown fuses. I just purchased the car from a private party three days ago. I drove it home and haven't really driven it since then except to the corner store. At first I was thinking the battery but there was no indicating that the battery was going dead.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
it could still be the battery, the steering lock, the ipdm (control unit within the fuse box in engine compartment)..
However, i would first check for blown fuses, and check the voltage on the battery... or at least charge it... would you be able to do this, so we proceed with the checks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can do that once I get back home in about an hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had sone one chine over and check the battery and it wasn't that, then they went to check the fuses and pushed each one in and then tried the key and it worked. I tried that with the fuses myself earlier and I still wasnt able to get the key out. But something from him checking the battery, pushing the fuses in and just sitting for 20 hours, it finally came out and the car will start again. My fear is that I go somewhere and it will happen again and I get stranded.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
In my opinion, the most likely reason (if not the electronics mentioned above), would be a loose battery cable.
I understand your fear, but the only way to know would be to try the vehicle, and let's hope for the best.
Either way, get back to me with the results, so we proceed as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome!
Get back to me if further assistance is needed on this.