Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

XE pickup 2 wd: My 97 4 cylinder pickup KA 24 engine hates

Customer Question

My 97 4 cylinder pickup KA 24 engine hates warm weather. Runs ok til above 85 degrees, and then sputters, stalls at idle, loses power, slight backfire etc. Next morning runs great.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
did you try cleaning the injectors?
did you check the fuel pressure?
did you check for any fault codes?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
You need to get back to me on this page.
you used the sea foam to clean the injectors?
would you be able to remove the injectors and clean them, and check the fuel pressure (should be 34 psi with vacuum hose connected at idle, and 43 psi with vacuum hose disconnected)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a pressure gauge but can probably get one. As I put in the initial info, it is throwing no codes. I feel like it should, because when the episode happens, it sounds like it is misfiring, but the ECM doesn't detect it as such. I suppose I could remove the injectors, but I have never done that before. I just ran Sea Foam through the tank. Problem has been going on all summer, and the hotter it gets, the worse it gets. Drove the truck to work this morning at 65 degrees outside temperature, and it ran like a brand new one. On the way home yesterday at 86 degrees, it sounded like I had blown the engine.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Having the misfire and back fire, this most likely is a fuel issue (although it could be something else), so the first thing would be checking the fuel pressure (preferably when engine is warm at high temperatures to confirm the fault).
Kindly get back to me with the results so we can proceed accordingly.
PS: you can try clamping the fuel return line after the fuel pressure regulator, when the problem occurs using a pair or pliers, and have someone rev the engine, so you confirm whether it's a fuel pressure problem.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I'll get back to you as soon as I get some numbers on the FP.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Take your time...