Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Xterra: My new distributor 2003 xterra won't fit all

Customer Question

My new distributor for my 2003 xterra won't fit all the way down; I measured all dimensions with a micrometer an the are identical. What could I be missing?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
do you have the supercharged engine?
did you try turning the rotor axe while fitting, so the gears engage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No supercharger, and yes I did
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
the old distributor still fits?
why was it replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine was missing and had intermittently the engine Light would come on; I took it to the shop and they said the distributor was bad; they wanted to replace it for $1200.00; I bought the part at advanced auto, and even took it back to make certain that it was the right part. I've installed at least a dozen distributors over the last forty years and since the early nineties car models, I always had to wiggle the distributor, and/or rotate the shaft to get them to "sit" when I drop the new distributor.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I was not implying that you don't know how to replace... actually, removing and installing should be straight forward.
however, does the old distributor still fit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
OK,
Let's try this, turn the crankshaft pulley, until cylinder one is at TDC, and turn the distributor rotor to number one cylinder (that should be 4 oclock), and try to fit.
PS: your distributor should have the part number: 221007B001