Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Maxima: 1987 Maxima will not shift out of 1st. Has reverse,

Customer Question

1987 Maxima will not shift out of 1st. Has reverse, but NO shift or manual control for upshift.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.
Back in 1998 I had a 87 Maxima as well, and it did almost the same thing. No Reverse by mine was stuck in 3rd. There is two things that can cause this. 1 is a valve in the valve body is stuck. 2 is the inside planitaries have shifted and broke and is not allowing fluid pressure to the other gears. It's best to have a trans shop look at this and do a pressure test and let them see if it's more a internal failure or a valve in the valve body causing your issue. On mine, it was shifting and driving fine, and was X-mas eve and I was going to do some shopping when it happened. It just bucked and that was it. Locked in 3rd. Mine was total transmission failure. Metal through out the trans. So I replaced it with a used transmission and rebuilt that one.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!