Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years - master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Quest: SirToday my van (2007 Nissan Quest ) hesitated

Customer Question

Hello Sir
Today my van (2007 Nissan Quest ) hesitated to start. When it finally started, i put the car in reverse and i heard a loud noise and the display on my dashboard indicated "SLIP" & "TCS OFF". I put the car in drive and and tried to rev the engine but the van hesitated to move. Any ideas? Help!!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Would you be able to check the transmission position sensor?
it is under the battery tray on the transmission, it is linked by a cable to the shifter selector lever, so when you move the selector lever this one should move...
And when you change gear selection, does it indicate properly on dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My van is at home today and I am at work. Had to take the taxi to work today. I will try to do as requested when I return home.
When I shift in reverse gear ...it make a very hard shift in reverse... A big jerky motion when shift in reverse... a small jerk when I shift in drive.. And when I give gas the van hardy moves...
About a 2.5 weeks ago it started doing this... So i had nissan change the transmission oil... it ran smooth till today same symptoms... new thing i noticed was the TCS and SLIP indicator on dashboard.. what's you best guess??
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If that's the case don't check the transmission sensor, just make sure it indicates proper shifts on dash.
Given the symptoms, i think you have a gearbox problem (internal).
However, we need to check first for any broken drive shafts, and getting the fault codes from the ABS module wouldn't be a bad idea.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am about ready to hook up the scanner to see if I get any codes and I will share the information with you soon. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just out there with my bagel and I noticed that the TCS off indicator and slip indicator was not showing. The car started to shift some load in reverse and I was able to drive normally around the block. Halfway around the block as soon as I made a right turn the TCS off indicator in the slip indicator came on in the car stalled. Same symptoms as discussed before and my findings started again. Oh by the way I also noticed that the service engine light soon stays on all times whether the slip or TCS authenticator is on or off… But the server engine light soon stays on all times. That is why I have my friend is on his way with just with the scanner to see what kind of codes to get. I will share the info so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like when the TCS and slip indicators are off the car runs normal. Even when the servings or light stays on all times the car runs normal. As soon as TCS and slip indicators come on the car sympyoms come on.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
My apologies for the delay...
Were you able to get the fault codes?
(you can get those free at autozone)...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only got one code - p0345- cam shaft position sensor and circuit bank 2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I change that sensor that should take care of the engine light indicator " serve engine soon "
What about the TCS and slip indicator that is also currently showing. Stay tuned! I will change camshaft position sensor today. Do you think the slip and the TCS off indicator will also go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please give some serious thought and respond back
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
The camshaft sensor (bank 2) need checking with its wiring first, to confirm if it needs replacement, or its wiring needs repairing.
As for the TCS, did you retrieve fault codes from the TCS module? or just from the engine module. As the p0345 is a code from the engine module. We need to see what codes are indicated in the TCS module, to confirm whether this is the only problem (and i doubt it).
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i retrieve the TCS module codes? And what about the "SLIP" indication that shows up on my dashboard?advise any?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
As with engine codes. You hook the scan tool, you identify the vehicle, now, you enter the TCS module, not the engine module, retrieve the fault codes.
The slip indication is the same as the TCS. The TCS is the traction control system, if the warning light is on, the system is deactivated, hence the warning to drive slowly.
regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday I replaced the camshaft position sensor in bank 2 (code P0345) of my nissan 2007. Immediately thereafter all problems as described above were solved. No more indicators like "SLIP", and "TCS OFF". Only indicator on dasboard was the "serve engine soon" which went away after i resetted the code. Van is shifting gears as normal as before. The sensor cost $70. Labor=$0.0. For now I m back on the road as a happy camper.Ty, AL
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Al,
That is excellent news. Glad that the problem was sorted with just this sensor.
Get back to me whenever further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you !!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...