Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2009 Rogue: Car will not start, stuck in park but able to turn

Customer Question

Car will not start, stuck in park but able to turn steering wheel.
What's up?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** will answer your question the best I can if I have helped please remember to leave a positive rating
Do you mean the engine is running and you can't get it out of park, or the engine cranks over but will not start up. or the engine won't even crank over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not running. Cannot get out of park.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
so with the key on and stepping on the brake the shift control won't release out of park? if that is correct then there is a problem with the shift lock control and there should be a manual release button to push once you remove the small cover just in front of the shift handle, once that is out of the way you can push the button with a key or a small screwdriver. A lot times the problem with the shift lock control is a bad brake light switch and sometimes it requires replacement of the whole shift handle assembly,