Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

96 Nissan maxima 5 speed won't crank at all. Changed starter

Customer Question

96 Nissan maxima 5 speed won't crank at all. Changed starter out, tested battery and checked all fuses.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you hear a click or anything when you go to start it?Do you have a test light or volt meter so we can do some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear the relays click and yes I have both a test light and volt meter
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you can, I need you to locate the clutch interlock relay under the hood and take it out, then check for power on 2 of the slots with the key on.Sometimes with the nissan if you flip the relay over it's numbered, we are looking for power on slots 1 and 3. 3 will only show power with the key in the start position though, so you need a helper for this test.Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at 3 at all only power at 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked wires underneath still look good tho
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, need to check the white/purple stripped wire at the ignition switch harness. If it has power the car needs a new ignition switch. If there isn't any power then you need to check the 30 amp fusible links to be sure one it's blown. If they are all good, then you need to check the wiring from the fusible link box to the ignition switch.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.